Saturday 11 September 2010

Arrivals and departures

So I am sat in 'Champions', the sports bar, at HK airport. Just over a week since I was here last. Again I have the dubious glass of white wine (mmmm, chardonnay - I could recommend it to Mozaic), the potato skins with cheese (no bacon) and a glass of tap. Yes, I too am questioning why. Surely there are nicer places I could be. I think I am trying to recreate the beginning of the Bali trip - the time went too quickly. I want to be back drinking Pina Coladas. Doing my silly pina colada/bad stomach/paddy field/etc dances (yes, best not to ask). Having massages and going for strolls. Come back holiday!

Post Mozaic we were cautious of eating, generally. Not least due to the obvious food poisoning. Nice. (I'll not share further details). Thursday lunch we had the most delicious meal, and it was cheap as chips. Friday continued on a similar theme. We arrived in Jimbaran, home of the beachfront seafood bbq, and it was delicious! Sat right by the water (we had to move tables twice as the waves came up higher than the restaurant had expected). Utterly romantic, sat on the beach, tables and candlelight's, musicians playing, waves crashing and the smoke of the bbq all around.

We saw little of Jimbaran, opting for pina coladas and books on the beach. All lounging, no sightseeing so little to report. We stayed at the Intercontinental, which was a bit of the shock to the system with its enormous entrance, all speedy check-in and efficiency. It is an maaaaaaaaaaaahusive resort. A lovely place to stay but not the place to see Bali from. You can tell the kind of person that does see Bali solely from the resort - ok so I'm generalising based on meeting one person - but at check-out the rude man not only queue jumped (in full knowledge he had pushed in front of me - it was like being back in HK) but then asked for the US$ 1 'charitable donation' (added to every bill) - to be removed. Let's be clear here. His bill ran to a couple of pages and he was asking to be able to check out at 4pm (this looked like it may be possible pre-donation removal - he then had to be out by 1pm). We were staying for free (yay points) but rooms started at US$ 450 per night when I checked the website, so US$ 1 was surely lost in the roundings! Ah well. Rant over. Hopefully his luggage will get lost on the way home (although I pity the poor staff member that has to deal with that...)

Right, I'm rambling , and I have a flight to catch. Next stop Sydney. Hurrah! DW is at this point wandering around HK in the rain before a later flight back to the UK. Safe trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment