Saturday 4 September 2010

Surf's up!

We awoke to the staff banging on the hotel door to clean the room, leaving us no option but to head downstairs for breakfast. (It really wasn't that late!) Fortunately a delicious array of goodies was available. Depite the need to wear a bikini later that day I plumped for the deep fried bananas with maple syrup. Yum (and genuinely, it is a bit late to be worrying about things like that after a three month food-a-thon).

As we are, quite literally, on the beach, we decided to head for a stroll along the front to get our bearings. We are in Kuta and we walked up towards Seminyak. I was mostly trying to spot the bar I want to go to this evening. It looks like the kind of place to sell pina coladas. And you know how I like pina coladas.

A couple of hours of strolling (so nice to have the time to do this) and it was a rush back to get ready for the activity of the day - surfing!

I have never been anywhere near a surf board before but I had visions of myself as a surf godesss. Clearly. I've got the sweaty betty bikini (per their PR - practical for watersports, yet effortlessly stylish). I spend hours and hours doing pilates (balance). What more do I need??

Quite a lot it appears. I could hear 'hahahahahaha, wipeout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' reverberating through my brain as I fell, and fell, and fell, into the water. I spent more time underwater than anywhere else and am quite frankly, exhausted. Having said that , I did actually enjoy myself and would certainly do it all again (ok, maybe not the bit where I hit myself on the chin with the surfboard while choking on salt water).

At one point the board and I managed to turn 360. Great as for once I ended up above water. (To be clear this was a roll into the water, not a great surfing move...)

Still, but the end of the lesson I had technically 'stood' on my board. Admittedly the board by this point was going v e r y s l o w l y... Still, I have now surfed. As a result I have weird shaped sunburn, red eyes and a need for beer. Immediately please.

No comments:

Post a Comment