Monday 13 September 2010

Blue Mountains




Hello from Sydney! I arrived and made it through the mega form-filling/interrogation that is customs. Have I been on a farm recently??? (No - but it makes you wonder if you had been and you forgot). However, I was allowed through, clutching my bottle of champagne (declared as a 'food' item...). Following the longest taxi queue in the world, I made it safely to Sydney. Paddington to be precise. Phew.

Out for lunch at Doyles in Watsons Bay for fish and chips. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yum. Very nice. Sun shining, sat outside, good company, chips. What more could I want? (Ok, so some salt and vinegar would have gone down a treat but let's not get picky here).




We then drove up to the Blue Mountains for a mini-break in a holiday (mini break - hurrah!). A short drive and we were in chintz heaven at Lilianfels hotel and spa. Located conveniently close to the start of the hiking trails.

The staff thought I was hilarious, which I think was solely due to my being English rather than any witty banter from my corner. To explain, we arrived and immediately headed to the lounge for tea and scones (even before going to the room). I then spent some time at reception (by this point in my towelling robe and matching slippers) having the staff talk me through the dvd collection (apparently "amusing trash" is the funniest dvd descriptor known to man - if only I had known earlier, I could have my own show by now). However, dvds were hired (for the princely sum of AUD 6 per dvd) and all was well. Cue very girly evening of fizz, snacks and dvds (oh yes, and pillow fighting in our nighties - goes without saying). If you've not seen 50 first dates, go see it. Hilarious in all the wrong ways - just as an Adam Sandler film should be. Muchos giggling.
Early start the next morning (what jet lag...yawn) and by 8am we were off hiking. This meant I had to stop for lunch at 10.30am - I was STARVING!
The Blue Mountains were stunning, we were in Katoomba. We walked to the Three Sisters and over to the world's steepest railway. Due to the health-kick (which had been decided upon over fizz the night before) we decided to walk down then up again instead of taking the train. My calves are not thanking me for this today. Yeeks. I also have a headache which I am sure is due to the 'no-booze' element. Yes, I managed to go for dinner on Monday night and not have booze or pudding. Most unusual. I do hope I swiftly start to feel as fit as a fiddle (or possibly an athlete, I am sure they are fitter than wooden musical instruments). Maybe 'nearly as fit as an athlete, one without an issue with prohibited substances' should be the saying?



On return to the hotel we went to the spa which unfortunately had 'no availability for treatments that afternoon'. A few hours sat trying out free product samples (well if there were no appointments) and reading our books while drinking the free berry tea did demonstrate that the issue was not appointment availability, but staff availability. There were none. Very odd. Lots of nice looking treatment rooms and a spa area. Although I was somewhat put off by the green mould on the amethyst crystal fountain - albeit the water in this did not go near you and was not treatment related, merely decorative.
Anyway, we went for a boozeless, but very tasty, dinner at the Old City Bank Brasserie. Salad and fish for me and salad and chicken for K. Healthy, healthy, healthy. I had to eat almost an entire bag of pistachios (bought to keep our strength up while hiking) on my return to prevent myself from raiding the mini bar for the toblerone I knew was sat there. The sense of pride when I woke this morning (toblerone intact) was, quite frankly, ridiculous. [FYI, today I have had two ginormous mugs of tea but no booze as yet...However, it is 5pm so plenty of time for that to change].
Back in Paddington it is raining so a bit of a wander, then home for a cup of tea (or two) and cake. Yum. Off into town this evening, after two early nights and dvd-athons we probably should start acting our age...





























1 comment: