Friday 30 July 2010

Books, boats and flushing sounds..


Well, it is sometime since I had time for sit down and a "proper" update. So where to start?


Well firstly a little more on Japan (my true love...). Whilst I was there for the weekend I was fortunate to take a trip to Kamakura. This will, at some point, fill an entire post on its own. About an hour by train out of Tokyo it is a beautiful area by the sea, filled with temples, and the Great Buddha. He was pretty Great!


But, I will write a whole post with the beautiful pictures of Kamakura so for now I'll leave you with that little 'fluffer'...
Linking slightly to fluffers (this is Japan), have you ever been on a Japanese toilet?? These high-tech machines create a whole new bathroom experience!
Firstly, the lid lifts automatically for you (IR sensor). As you sit there is another sensor you can run your hand in front of (no need to touch - hygiene is king) which creates a flushing sound so no one can actually hear you on said toilet! There are then at least three "spray" options you can choose (for washing), and the whole lid closing / flushing is again automatic. It amazes me that after all this there is rarely soap in the bathrooms. In HK you can hardly move for soap and antiseptic sprays (I've told you before that my apartment lifts are disinfected every two hours...)
So yes, Japan, the future of toilets...
Back in HK it has been one exciting trip (to dinner) after another. Thursday night was the China Club. Everyone in HK is a member of somewhere and this is a members-only restaurant. However, it is not so strict that if you pretend to be someone else they throw you out (as demonstrated by our table being all female, yet a male "member" was dining that evening...).
The China Club is amazing. Set over three floors there is the main restaurant, the private dining rooms and the library and terrace. The food was delicious, but the whole experience was surreal. Displays of tea pouring (an art) and noodle making (I still have no idea how it is done) take place in the middle of the restaurant. The decor is traditional old Chinese. Yellow walls, intricate drawings and dark wood. The China Club also has an enormous collection of modern Chinese art.
Some beautiful, some slightly alarming (such as the man with a machete in his forehead and the bowl with live goldfish swimming around models of decapitated women).
The Library is amazing. 500 books on China, and a lot of others. Huge sofas and that library smell. Drinks on the terrace and for once the weather was kind and we were able to sit out. An amazing dining experience.
I am now very amused as have just found a blog "hong kong schmong kong" while searching for photos - I made it to dinner straight from the airport. Just.
Last night was a junk trip to, amusingly, Poi Toi O - of my earlier blog. Once again the food was amazing and being on the boat at night in lovely weather, cruising round the harbour, was great.
I think I have a slight preference for being there in the day as the views are so spectacular. However, rocking up on an enormous yacht (as opposed to falling out of the number 16 us) was fun!
I think I'm in HK for a few days now (I'll try mum!) so looking forward to settling back in. After weeks of sitting and eating I think a peak hike or three is in order. I just need to fit this in around the dinners I have planned... Hmm.

1 comment:

  1. You want to be careful fluffing in a country that has maid cafes...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete