Tuesday 20 July 2010

Tokyo - Roppongi


Roppongi, to me at least, is best described as the Leicester Square of Tokyo. It has it all. Expensive restaurants, seedy bars and the all-important tourist attractions (wax museum anyone?). Previously a 'den of sin' (as described by the ever-reliable, albeit poorly written, guidebook) there has been substantial investment and it is increasingly expensive with hotels such as the Grand Hyatt and the large Roppongi Hills building - as previously occupied by Lehmans - considered a key landmark. A well known area, in terms of its slightly seedy reputation, and one I wouldn't recommend you rush to, although the new buildings and view from the tower are worth a trip the nightlife leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, Roppongi has it highs and it's lows. I visited it on three separate occasions.

1. For a very expensive dinner at Roka Roka. The sushi bar in the Grand Hyatt this was a truly outstanding experience. The most delicious sushi I have ever tried, prepared in front of you by skilled sushi chefs. Chefs seen by the public have to have trained for a minimum of 10 years and can earn as much as an investment banker! I know which career I'd rather have. Each chef has his own sushi knife, which itself costs more than a (very nice) car. The prices reflect this but the experience was magical and I would thoroughly recommend it. Yum!

2. As a tourist to visit the Tokyo Tower, which I've talked about earlier. Note to all, do not go with the Hato bus tour. 10minutes to get up the tower, 10 mins for pictures then down again. A little rushed!

3. On the weekend, searching for seedy (ok, nice) bars. Seedy appears to be the available option. A key pickup spot for tourists and ex pats alike. Not an experience I'd wish to repeat but one you can recreate for yourself by heading to your nearest walkabout - or any bar in Leicester Square. Get the picture?

2 comments:

  1. If the guidebook that recommended the Maid Cafe describes it as a den of sin I can only imagine...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lonely Planet - not my guidebook of choice...

    ReplyDelete