Wednesday 28 July 2010

Fugu, sake, black rain and more flight delays

Hello all. Apologies I have been a little neglectful of late. What can I say, the joys of work. Many, many meetings. I still find it slightly odd to be sat in negotiations with people sipping milky iced coffee through straws. At least it is not jugs of, increasingly warm, milk.

I am back at Tokyo airport, waiting for my (very) delayed flight. Again, due to rain. Fortunately(?) it has been such bad weather I did at least receive advance warning of the delay and get to have a, much needed, lie in - rather than a 5am start...

The Tokyo fun continued its eating theme. On this trip I tried Fugu. The ”deadly” blowfish. (Puffer fish). Only licensed restaurants can prepare it as the poison kills you. We had fugu sashimi, fugu risotto, fugu soup, fugu sushi and fugu jelly. A proud moment for me - managing to eat jelly with chopsticks! Bring on the fly catching...

Fugu, whilst an ”exciting” meal (you may die) is actually fairly tasteless itself. The food was however, delicious. And I didn‘t die. Hurrah.

In celebration (?) of surviving my lunch (I still think it was a ploy to potentially remove me, somewhat permanently,  from negotiations). As it m¥was my last night in Tokyo, the evening meal was (of course) more sushi. This was accompanied with the sake I should have been drinking while eating Fugu. I am quite taking to sake!I am also saddened that London-sushi will never be the same again...

The sushi was excellent, but the appetisers were snails boiled in soy sauce. I have never eaten anything so close to the smell of cat food. This did result in a quite a high level of sake consumption. Yum, And hurrah for not having to get up at 5am!

I will hopefully be back in HK for a very exciting evening at China Club... Can:t wait! Yes, that is for more food. I‘ll try and fit in something other than meetings and eating soon! 

1 comment:

  1. "and I didn't die. Hurrah". Hurrah indeed!!! V pleased to hear that you are safely ensconced in an airport where the worst that you can eat is MacDonalds. Oh. Perhaps the Fugu is safer...

    xx

    ReplyDelete