Sunday 20 June 2010

Hiking, Heatstroke and Happy Birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR (Izzy's) MUM!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
Today I went on a trip to walk part of the MacLehose trail. This runs through the New Territories. It is 100 kilometers long, split into 10 parts and is named after Hong Kong's longest serving Emperor, Crawford Murray MacLehose. (who loved hiking and created a number of hiking trails).
This 'hike' can be done in stages or the whole 100k. The Oxfam "trailwalker" is an annual event here and is repeated in other countries. On this note any of you that have been meaning to sponsor the lovely Louise and team should definitely do so now at www.justgiving.com/oxfamtrailwalkerteams They are doing the whole 100k in one go!!! (Ignore the talk about an event, the page is for sponsoring for the 100k).
Anyway, back to the trip. I left this morning planning on doing stages one and two. I also left this morning without a proper map and with some confusion over which station I should go to (I made the mistake of asking the front desk at the apartments to confirm the information I have found on the internet). Anyway, I made it to an MTR station which seemed vaguely correct then hopped into a cab with a driver who had no idea what I was talking about. At this point I began to question the historical significance of this trail and also my accent. For the second time this weekend I wished I had a compass and for about the millionth time since I got here I wished I spoke cantonese. On the plus side I do now own an Octopus card (like an oyster card but you can buy things in shops too. Barclays Wave eat your heart out).
Finally I arrived at stage 1, handed over what seemed like very large sums of money for a map (GBP6) and set off. By now it was midday (always the best time for walking), dry as a bone (would make a nice change if I wasn't walking up a hill) and a balmy 30 degrees (yes, that is hot). I had put on sunscreen, and was wearing the "JSM" cap given to me on junk day. Hurrah for the cap! I do have randomly shaped sunburn on one arm though. Odd.
Tip to others. Do not walk stage one. It take 2.5 - 3 hours and is pretty much entirely on a road alongside a reservoir. Sensible people take a cab to the last reachable place, where it is only short distance to the beginning of stage two, and a much nicer walk. However, there were stunning views. See photos below.
But, not knowing this, I walked stage one (wondering why there were so many taxis going past. "Normal" cars need (and cannot get) a permit. So just taxis. It was a nice walk but I do now realise why you should never go hiking on your own. Ever. 1, Minimal signs. 2. Far too hot. 3. 2 litres of water was insufficient. Next time I will ensure I take others or I take a compass and significantly more water!
Anyway, sweating (I can't deny it, too too hot), JSM marketing cap firmly rammed on my head, I made it to the beautiful beach between the end of stage 1 and the start of stage 2.
I had planned on doing stage 2, however it takes 5 hours so starting at 3pm having dunk all my water did not seem a sensible thing to do. A cold shower called (once I"d spent two hours getting home...). I will be going back though!
I am now (again) exhausted, and think I may have sunstroke. What are the symptoms? (I dare not google). Glass of ribena and (yet more) west wing and ben and jerries for me (did you know they now do a baileys flavoured one!? Is ace).








1 comment:

  1. Hmmm this MTR malarkey is sounding increasingly dubious. Taxis definitely seem the way forward.

    I am also noting yet more exercise/activities - all very very impressive particularly given the weather. That said, the photos look beautiful from stage 1 so looking forward to seeing what the prettier (and ridiculously long) stage 2 will offer.

    Happy birthday Jean - I hope you had a lovely day!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete