Friday 25 June 2010

Raindrops keep falling on my head...

Well, I have to admit that this blog is becoming more and more devoted to West Wing than to anything else at the moment (I've just finished Season 4 and will be hoping for a chance to go buy Season 5 later today). Many thanks for the posted wispas, they have been keeping me company :o)

This is not due to a lack of desire on my part to go and see all HK has to offer but is a direct result of month end and the commencement of monsoon season. Auditors and rain. Hurrah.

I'm not talking a pack a brolly, light scattering, I'm talking sheets of rain and an inability to leave the apartment without getting drenched! The dvd player and I and also the indoor/outdoor terrace and I are going to become good friends!

[In case of confusion, the indoor/outdoor terrace is level 5 in my block. It has a roof (there are a number of floors above it) but no walls / windows. Hopefully clearer now].

Whilst I have watched rain here, it appears all sorts has been happening in the UK so a big CONGRATULATIONS to Gem and Lee on the birth of Eliza Amber (hurrah!), WHOOP WHOOP to my sister for getting her degree AND a job and a final (but equally important) ENJOY and CONGRATULATIONS to James and George who are getting married today!! I look forward to celebrating in person with all of you in a few months.

Anyway, this week has taught me a few new things. I have learnt that a "bigha" is a unit of measurement. However, if you look this up on wikipedia it is not entirely clear what size this unit is. Always handy when assessing the value of land. "We have two bighas of land for sale, who would like to argue how much the buyer actually gets?" - I'm amazed London estate agents haven't (officially) taken this approach. From reading property adverts it appears they, unofficially, may have done so. Anyway, for those of you who already knew what a bigha was I apologise for boring you. Those who would like more information on bighas can find it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigha. I just liked the name.

I also learnt that my inability to correctly pronounce "I am a vegetarian" (if you recall, you say "I eat vegetables") which means I have been saying "I eat baby boys" and accounts for the horrified / amused yet confused faces I have been getting in local restaurants when attempting to order. Ahem. Less than ideal.

A further discovery was "lunch handbags". Yes, the women I work with have a, smaller, 'lunch' handbag. This is so you do not have to lug your big bag when you go for lunch. Strikes me as a genius idea and (just as soon as the rain stops) I'm going shopping!

A final discovery, as advised by my team, is that whilst HK is a very safe place to live, pickpocketing is very common. They were horrified at the lack of attention I paid to my handbag and possessions generally and I have promised I will keep a closer eye in future.

On the food front, this Friday I was taken to a noodle bar by my team, this one famous for its fish soup. Here my (delicious) food was kindly ordered for me, to ensure I tried the specialities. (I had fishball and tofu soup - the fish and the tofu are mixed and fried), and Chinese turnip (taro) in fish soup. I also had lemon barley water, famed here for its cooling and healing properties. I'm hoping this will make up for my complete lack of attendance at the gym. yes, even when pretty much locked down in my apartment here I cannot find the will to walk (ok, take the lift) to the in-building gym.

Last night I went to Posto Pubblico, an Italian Osteria, which made a bit of a change! Delicious pizza, home made pasta, tapas style starters and a nice wine list too! www.postopubblico.com YUM.

This was followed by the discovery of lychee daiquiris. Delicious but deadly. I did however cut my night short so I could be up nice and early for my excursions today. Please note, it is gone 1pm and I'm still waiting for the rain to stop! Should have gone dancing...

Anyway, had there been marginally better weather I was planning on taking a trip to Lantau Island to see the Big Budda and take a trip on the skyrail there. It is supposed to be fabulous, I will keep you all updated if I get there!

Tomorrow I have planned for rain and am off to spend the day at a spa. I'm almost hopeful the weather doesn't improve.

Anyway, I hope to have more interesting news soon. Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahaha (oh and thank you and congrats to your friends Eliza is an adorable name) xxx

    ReplyDelete