Saturday 5 June 2010

I have landed!

Welcome. Firstly can I just warn you this will not be an exciting post as I have just arrived in my new apartment and, bar sleeping for the majority of an 11 hour flight, I have not really done much. But I'm jumping ahead of myself so I'll start at the beginning. Gillian - pen at the ready for those all-important precedents.

19.45 (UK), Friday 3 June. The "Limo" arrives (for "Limo" please read "Volvo"). I hop in, still slightly confused as to what exactly "in car check in" is. No champagne in the car.

Car arrives at an entrance to Heathrow that I have never seen before where my bags are whisked away and I am greeted by the friendliest woman I have ever met (think your mum when your favourite friend of hers comes round). I am invited to go through the super quick (there were three of us) airport scanning and into the lounge. For the first time in as long as I can remember post hip-op I didn't beep at the scanners, which makes me slightly wary of Heathrow security.

Still no time for anxiety about ability to commit acts of terrorism, the "in car check in" means I have minimal time to make the most of The Lounge!

So, I arrive at The Lounge (I am still sufficiently excited by this to feel it merits capitalisation). The aircon is not working so it is distinctly tropical. To fit with this random 80s tunes are playing and it all feels very Club Tropicana. I am saddened to admit that I did not take advantage of the free bar and work my way through as much Lanson Black Label as I could in 40 minutes, but instead had a chamomile tea, a salad and a cranberry juice (two drinks mum, I did want to make the most of it!). Note to self there is a free spa in The Lounge. If I ever get to do this again I intend to arrive at the airport at least 12 hours early so as to take full advantage. You can even get a haircut!

I am then whisked onto the plane and am again forced to admit that I was too tired to stay up for the delicious looking dinner and more drinks, nor did I watch a single dvd so yet more wasted freebie fizz missed. Madness. Instead I had a single glass of champers and went to sleep. I am still wondering where this show of restraint came from!

Slept until about 90mins before we landed and had a delicious but tiny breakfast of blueberry griddle cakes. Do you really think they had a griddle on the place or has someone invented a microwave version? Anyway, tasty but tiny, possible explaining current hunger pangs.

At the other end all went relatively smoothly, slight confusion over where to find the car to the apartment but before I knew it we were driving through mist (smog?), tall buildings and I found myself at my new home.

It is very nice, but tiny. I'm not sure how well my natural haphazard / untidy nature will cope with living in a room smaller than most hotel rooms for three months but I think it will be good for both my organisational skills and expectations for housing purchases when I return to London. For those who saw it, this is similar to Martigues, but they manage to fit a "kitchen" in too!

Very little to report, I have attempted to unpack, realised nothing will fit and left the majority of the carefully packed items back in the suitcase, probably not to be seen again until I pack for my return!

Shower, an explore and food calls. Definitely food! Then I will open all the nice cards you guys gave me, how exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that the Virgin 'in limo check in' is in fact check in in the back of a slightly battered Volvo. I can see the revised ad campaign now...

    I can definitely recommend the Cowshed spa next time you go - surprisingly competent and didnt leave me looking horrific when I went.

    I hope you enjoy your first day of exploring - I look forward to hearing all about your new 'home'.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have enjoyed reading this! Hope you get the wardrobe sorted. If its any consolation it is rain, rain and more rain in UK- could do with a little bit of humid heat here!

    ReplyDelete