Saturday 19 June 2010

Markets

Today I took the MTR across to Kowloon from Wanchai. I thought I would have a nice walk across Kowloon, through the markets and then get the boat home. Ideal.
I hopped on the MTR (tube), changed as needed and arrived at my "destination". Ahem. I had also managed to leave home without a proper map and the station I had merrily taken myself too was not included in those stops covered by the guide book. Effectively I'd taken myself to the far Northern end of the Piccadilly line whilst planning a stroll round Leicester Square. So back on the MTR it was.

I arrived at my new destination, Price Edward MTR, and headed to the Yuen Po street Bird Garden and Flower market. I reached the flower market first, which was amazing. Those of you who came to the Christmas party will (hopefully) remember the hyacinth bulbs, which involved a 4am trip to Covent Garden flower market. No need for the early start here! So many beautiful plants and flowers and all costing so so little. Amazing (yes, I'm using it again).

I then reached the bird garden. Masses and masses of vendors selling birds, cages, bird food, crafting the cages out of teak and bamboo. A real sight. Some people showing off favoured birds, others feeding them treats through the bars. Some birds cramped in cages looking pitiful. A woman who did not cage her birds, they sat around and on her. The noise was incredible! Songbirds are favoured as pets as they are considered harbingers of good fortune.





Down Tung Choi street with the general market, the next stop was the goldfish market (goldfish help create excellent feng shui). Rows and rows of tropical fish, turtles, aquariums. Also a number of pet shops selling guinea pigs, rabbits and puppies. Even those of you with a fondness for puppies, I really can't imagine you wanting to walk a dog in this heat!


Further down you then reach the well know Ladies' Market. Here you can buy a copy of any handbag, watch or other designer item you desire. The general market sells everything else, including things it had never occurred to me I may need. Like a new toothpaste cap to prevent the tube blocking. Super!

Finally heading South again I reached the Jade market. Beautiful intricate carvings. By this point I was somewhat exhausted from the heat (very dry, hot, day today- which makes a change - I should have gone to the Peak!). Taxi it was to the Star ferry terminal, where I go the boat across to Wanchai and enjoyed the stunning views.







1 comment:

  1. It's almost like a challenge - perhaps I should come and see if I could walk by the puppies without wanting one; even in the heat. If I do stil want one do I get to keep one?

    Was the jade market wonderful? I think jade is such a beautiful stone - perhaps you should buy yourself some treats given that it sounds like you are not yet armed with fake Birkins (or indeed real Lu Lu Cheung for that matter..).

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete