Wednesday 16 June 2010

Junks




Ok, what kind of boat springs to mind if I were to say "junk" to you? Probably not a whacking great yacht, which is exactly where I spent my day today. Most unexpected and absolutely wonderful. (It has two staff and a boat boy. Less of the junk...).
So today was Dragon Boat racing day. We took a taxi to Stanley beach (GBP10 and takes about 45 minutes, black cabs will never be the same again). After fighting our way along the absolutely rammed beach (which we later discovered was for contestants only) - picture 1 - we made it to the pier and boarded the shuttle boat to the "junk". This was the point I saw row upon row of gleaming yachts and wished I had not worn my gym kit. (I had had visions of clambering over old rickety boats!)
It was a great atmosphere, food cooking, masses and masses of barrels of drinks (mostly nonalcoholic - this is a sporting event), bright colours, teams in fancy dress and lots of shouting and cheering.
The junk was tied alongside a number of others (about 20) and some brave folk were junk-hopping (going from one to another). Someone died doing this last year so I decided I was happy with the yacht I had made it onto. But so you can picture this, rows and rows and rows of yachts, all with food, drinks and loud music. JayZ a favourite...
So I spent an incredible day sipping wine, watching the races and generally relaxing. Beautiful weather, good company. I officially love Wednesday bank holidays!
I realise as I write I actually did very little other than chat and cheer. But it was ace. So if you're ever in HK I thoroughly recommend a trip. I have also said (if I'm allowed back next year) that I will join and enter the girls team that was unofficially "formed" today. We were good supporters so surely we'd be ace rowers!?



1 comment:

  1. boat boy??junk-hopping??? Too many comments too little time...

    V happy to hear that you had such a fab day though.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete