Monday 14 June 2010

Pen free zone

As I type I am sat in a computer shop in Wanchai. Putting a pen in your computer turns out to be a very expensive error. GBP280 for a new screen or GBP240 for a new laptop. Nice. So I am now waiting for the english version of windows to be installed on my new, tiny, white (oh the shame) laptop. I'm reminded, and for once not in a good way, of the scene where Elle goes and buys a pink MAC, dressed as a bunny girl.

I intend to create a "pen free" zone in my room. Laptop is small enough to actually fit in it...

Note to self "do you promise this is the cheapest laptop I will be able to find" is probably not my best negotiation stance ever. Hmm, as compared to the phone bill I as going to have without skype access it is probably a bargain... (Oh, and for those of you wondering after yesterday's blog if I actually spent GBP450 on a top I can assure you I did not. I'm not that bad!)

So fingers crossed that I manage to keep this one intact for more than 13 days. 10 days if you count from when I actually took the last one out of the box. Ouch.

Enough of laptops and expensive errors (this is like leaving my new McQueen jacket on the train all over again). How is Honkers. Well, no rain today, which is probably linked to it not being the weekend.

I am covered in mosquito bites - I had not had a single one (or even considered their existence) until someone mentioned them on Saturday night. I now own mosquito repellent, bite healer and 3/4 of my previous blood levels. Hurrah.

Today I learnt about the Dragon Boat festival, or the Tuen Ng Festival. This is to commemorate the death of a popular Chinese national hero, Qu Yuan, who drowned himself in the Mi Lo River over 2,000 years ago to protest against the corrupt rulers and the manner in which they were ruling the country. Legend has it that to prevent his body being disturbed (for "disturbed" read "eaten") by the fish the townspeople threw bundles of sticky rice into the river so the fish would eat this instead. They also took boats onto the water banging drums to scare the fish away. So now each year there is a festival to celebrate this, with Dragon Boat racing.

Interesting fact about HK bank holidays, they stick to the same date each year, so if it is a Saturday, no extra day off. Or they may be on a Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm out for lunch tomorrow and will hopefully get to try the traditional sticky rice dish. Am quite excited! (Hmm, it has been a quiet day...)

Hoe you're all well. Now I can read emails again please send me news! (Apologies to those of you awaiting replies).

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm two questions:

    1) why no pink laptop;
    2) why no new top (consider it a holiday pressie to self),

    both circumstances are somewhat distressing for me.

    As someone who considers it passe to keep a laptop for more than 13 days at a time I hope your rectify the above immediately ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately overpaid. Proof is in the fact that all programmes were installed for me while I waited and I left with the salesmans business card...

    ReplyDelete