Sunday 13 June 2010

The Peak



Firstly, apologies in advance for a higher than usual level of typing errors, omissions and misspellings. I have cracked my screen (shut the lid with a pen in it) and it now only shows in parts and is currently doing a pretty good impression of a strobe light so I'm basically typing blind. This is not ideal as I currently have a fairly high reliance on this laptop and I did only get it 13 days ago... Oh dear. This was not in the budget so I'll see how I get along.

Today appeared a relatively clear day which struck me as ideal for a trip to the Peak, so I set off to get the Peak Tram to the top. To put this tale into context I will need to talk you through my outfit, bear with me here. So, I left the house wearing my (only) summer frock, white with blue bits on, and a pair of blue ballet pumps (that would be shoes made of cheap cloth for those of you not familiar with differing styles of flatties).

As I left the house it began to rain but, as I have said before, who am I to let a little rain put me off. So I carried on with my walk in to Central. I have now become accustomed to taking an umbrella with me on all occasions so this was with me and I took it out of my rucksack (yes, I really was rocking the tourist look). The heavens then opened with more rain that I can possibly describe. I would have taken a picture but I was already battling with the map, umbrella and rucksack combination. So there I am "strolling" along, i-pod on, umbrella up, rain pouring down. It was at this point that I wondered to myself if it may be a good idea to buy a pair of wellingtons to walk to work in if the weather is going to stay like this for the duration of my stay (forecasts indicate it can only get worse). So, me + umbrella + i-pod + rucksack + map + rain. I must add that it is also very warm here so I am perspiring slightly (girls do not sweat). The random song selection on the i-pod flicks to "Beautiful Day" by the Levellers as I am wondering if my shoes/feet will recover from being one and the same as the puddles. Mmm, wet feet. Still, I do not turn back, I have come this far.

Rain continues. I look down at my, now drenched, summer frock. This is where the earlier detail is important. Yes, I am wearing a mostly-white dress and am drenched from head to toe (despite best efforts with umbrella, I intend to upgrade to a big, instant open one). At this point, I turn around. Walking the streets of HK looking like I am in a wet t-shirt competition is never going to be a good thing, and certainly not on a Sunday with a hangover (more about Saturday later).

As I turn back, as if by magic, the rain stops and the sun comes out. Right, I decide to head to the Peak, and hope that I am a little dried out by the time I see anyone else (the people taking shelter under the bridge that I have now walked past three times have already had a good laugh. I have nothing, literally, to hide from them).





I arrive at the Peak Tram departure point, a major tourist spot may I add, to find that every single other person there is as dry as a bone and looking perfectly groomed. This is not good. As I join the queue to get my ticket the two kodak boys do not invite me to have my photo taken to later buy as a souvenir. Wise of them but quite representative of the state I look.


At this point, somewhat oblivious to the odd looks I have by this point become accustomed to, I take off the ballet pumps (which have stained my entire feet navy blue) and put on flip flops (they were in my backpack in case I went for a pedicure later). I also put on a cardigan (despite the heat - something had to be done), smile and hope that my blue feet / see through dress / drowned rat appearance do not prevent me being permitted entry. I have by this point paid my £5.60 for the ride. Two kind japanese girls took my photo at the start of the tram line, but I'll spare you that. So here is the tram line, sans drowned rat.

I get on the tram, the ride up is like being on a rollercoaster but only the upwards part, that slow creaking where you wonder if you will fall backwards and are also waiting to tip over the edge. However, this is not a rollercoaster so no falling back and no tipping over the edge. I am trying to look as inconspicuous as possible to avoid being thrown off for scaring small children. Dress still alarmingly see-through and the man with the video camera next to me appears more interested in the views my side of the train that seems entirely necessary (I'm on the side with the trees, he is on the side with the cityscape). Anyway, I arrive without further incident.

So, as I left the house, clear skies. Then rain, which = raincloud. So, I am now in a cloud. At this point I decide food is the best possible option so I head to Mak Noodles. Has posters up advising it is a Michelin restaurant, and a bowl of noodles costs a grand total of £2.80. Best noodles I've had and you can see the staff making noodles and dumplings as you sit and eat. Wonderful. The dress starts to dry out and I am generally feeling much better.



So, I decide you will all want to see the view and I dutifully head to the observation tower, camera in hand. Sadly due to the computer incident I now cannot upload the photo but imagine a grey square and you will have the same as the photo I could have uploaded. Not even outlines of buildings, just cloud.



Mum, when you visit we'll cross our fingers for a clear day and head up there again!

As I had seen precisely nothing I decided to walk back to town, which is about 90 minutes down a (very) steep hill. I popped my trainers on (yes I did come out with three pairs of shoes) and decided that the dress + trainer look was the least of my worries. It was a nice walk (if you're ok with walking downhill) and the views gradually appeared as I moved below the cloud (this took a while!) I took a few city view pictures for you, but again due to computer mess up I cannot upload them (work folk please note, it is my personal computer that I have destroyed, fear not).

So I walked into town, by this point glowing nicely and still looking ridiculous. So a bit of boutique browsing. I look like just the kind of person to spend £450 on a top. Ahem.

I then went for a 50 minute foot massage (the sign promised air con and a cold drink). Absolute bliss, cold compress on the eyes, warm compress on the neck and a reclining chair. So relaxing. And a bargain, so a weekly treat from now on me thinks. Albeit I may have to go elsewhere, remember I had navy feet...

Anyway, this has gone on a bit and the flashing screen is hurting my eyeys so I'll save tales of Saturday for another time when I've less to witter about. Am off out to a vegetarian restaurant my colleagues recommended to me so looking forward to that!

3 comments:

  1. Kudos. Not for walking half naked around HK (although for that you deserve a medal) but for having the best excuse ever to blow a fortune on new clothes at the nearest shop you find yet resisting the urge to do so. I worship at the alter of your restraint.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Izzy - its Sue W again! Another amusing entry- poor you- suggest spare clothes on any outing! look forward to reading re Saturday... Love and keep your spirits up
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh. Maybe you got off lightly because Hong Kong's local population must be familiar with Englishpersons going out in the midday monsoon, if that is what it was.

    ReplyDelete