Saturday 28 August 2010

Lan Kwai Fong - take two

I feel I am starting to get into the swing of things just as I am about to leave. Yesterday turned into a lovely lunch trip to Ten Yoshi in Causeway Bay. Delicious tempura and sushi. The restaurant owners have three Japanese restaurants on three floors of Henry House. Tempura, sushi and yakitori. You can order from any of the three menus in each. Absolutely delicious and just what was required.

Following that it was a trip to the mandarin for the HK essential. A pedicure. Well, how else would I spend a Saturday?

The hangover kicked in (again) and I headed back to Wanchai for some CSI, a bit of a stroll round the market and then noodles. Late on I headed out to meet some friends for 'one end of night drink' in Cafe Gray (a bar I do wish I had found before). They do delicious elderflower and grape gins. Highly recommended.

Post the 'one' drink it was decided that, as this was my last Saturday, Lan Kwai Fong was a must. So off we went. It was absolutely heaving but I did discover there are actually some very nice places there (most unexpectedly).

We went to a bar called Lilly (apparently only open 3 weeks, impossible to get a table reservation and yet they don't advertise it?) which is on the 6th floor of Hotel LKF. I will be attempting to go back. Great drinks (the tequila and grapefruit cocktail was a favourite - reminiscent of Shady Lady's at the Zap) and they have this amazing cigar room. Provided you remember to send everything to the dry cleaners first thing the next morning, it is a great place to sit (and drink gin).

From Hotel LKF and onto Volar. Like everywhere else a 'members only' club but we (clearly I was a lucky bystander here) have known the bouncer since it opened six years ago so queue hopped and no admission. Good work! My favourite thing about Volar was the carousel horses that hung above each table. Really v cool design. Apparently there have been a few broken bones from people falling off so I did not attempt to climb on - although I was tempted.

Right, I have to go meet my next (and final!) HK visitor at the airport (excited!!) so I'll sign off. Have a good Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment