Saturday 21 August 2010

Stanley Market

Today I decided it was about time I went and bought all those HK gifts. Only two weeks left and come Christmas I know you'll all be wanting HK goodies, don't try and pretend otherwise. So off I went to Stanley market.

Now I have been to Stanley once before, for the Dragon Boat racing. But never to the market.

Again it was one of those weekend trips when I question if I will ever become a mildly less-inept 'traveller'. We've had a lot of rain recently so I opted to not wear the white frock with a tendency to go see through, and instead popped on a green number. Its first hong kong outing (no, I've not been shopping, it flew over with me and has just been neglected due to the heavy duty ironing requirement).

But, ironed and ready we hopped on the bus. I was really, really, really wanting to have a Loreal / taxi moment (talk yourself through the advert and it makes sense) but, predominantly due to the vast array of holidays I have booked recently, the budget is not looking quite as healthy as I would like so I opted for the bus. More funds for shopping!

It was on the bus I discovered that (a) the dress had a hole in; and (b) this dress shows up sweat, a lot. And today was a very hot day. Oh hurrah..... Dress is now in the bin.

So I arrived at Stanely and tried to act as though I was either completely unaware that my entire back was wet, or, that I was completely aware and utterly carefree about it. Then I just prayed the super-hot sun would dry it out, and rapidly. Oh the shame...

Stanley market is a pretty cool covered market. A complete tourist haven. It sells every item of tourist tat you could ever want, and quite a few items you had never dreamed you could ever need (new outfit for your wine bottle anyone?)

Admittedly the first purchase I made was for myself, a painting of Johnson Road, just near where I live. Now before you think I am being all extravagant, it cost GBP25. Less than a return taxi fare.

I did then buy a few gifts, fear not, before picking up some of the most expensive fruit I have ever bought. GBP12 for a few cherries, two peaches and three mangosteens - heavens! Good thing I did take the bus!

I rounded off my day with a nice long foot massage, which was wonderful other than the fact the masseuse burped his way through it. He did this last time I went. It does sort of ruin the relaxation for me but I can't think of a way to ask him not to do this. Any suggestions? I am loathe to change spas as this is one of the nicest I have found (Mandarin Oriental aside, clearly).

Post foot massage I went to the weird vegetarian restaurant just down the road to get takeaway. They make so many 'vegetarian' versions of meat items it is difficult to entirely trust the 'vegetarian only' signs. My 'seafood' soup even had carefully crafted 'octopus' bits. All made entirely of vegetables. Quite simply the most delicious sweet and sour 'beancurd skin' (our version of normal tofu - the non silken one), the soup is slightly odd. And, as per my usual ordering skills, I appear to have ended up with two soups. Hmm, one in the fridge for tomorrow me thinks, I'm just not entirely sure how I managed to do that.

1 comment:

  1. Please tell me you bought the wine outfits. You know you want to...

    xx

    ReplyDelete