Sunday 22 August 2010

More market based excitement

Today was the turn of Wan Chai market. This is more of an everyday market than a tourist market. You will no doubt be thrilled to hear that I picked up the best item of HK tat to date (now who will be the lucky recipient..) and also some lovely tops for my lovely sister.

Moving away from the bargain hunting and browsing of unusual shaped vegetables, I went to Ying Kee Tea House. This was a much more upmarket experience and I got to try some delicious (yet fiendishly expensive) teas.

Here are some tea facts for you:
- you should 'wash' your tea leaves first, you do this by pouring hot water onto them, emptying the pot, then refilling it
- tea should be left to brew for 40 - 60 seconds
- tea should be stored in an airtight container and can be kept for 12 months like this
- Old Luk On and Pu-erh tea can be kept longer, the older the better
- for black tea use boiling water
- for green tea, water at 75 - 85 degrees C.

Teapots at the ready...

1 comment:

  1. Who knew - all this time I thought I was making a cup of tea when in reality it was simply the first stage of the washing process.


    xxx

    ReplyDelete