Tuesday 24 August 2010

Lan Kwai Fong

Ok, ok. I admit it. Finally I went for a night out in ex-pat world. What can I say. I'm leaving soon. It had been a late night at work. It had to be done.

First stop was "Rat Alley". Land of outdoor thai restaurants and (hopefully) named after its thin shape with only one entrance (ie trapped like a rat). Unfortunately, given the rodent problem (recent reports of tourists and babies being bitten) leads me to believe this may be due to its inhabitants.

As ever, more food that is reasonable for 10 people, never mind two, arrived. We did our best but an embarrassing amount was left over. Actually considered asking new arrivals to come join us.

Next stop we strolled into Al's diner and asked for two jello shots. Oh yes. 10pm, sober, in work clothes on a Tuesday night. The barmaid looked at us as though we were bonkers (she had a point). However, I am assured jello shots are a "HK tradition" and I could not leave without going through this ritual.

Hmm. These were a little bigger than my version of a "shot" (Think 3x the size).

Step 1: Use cocktail stick to separate jello from edge of plastic cup (again, so NOT a shot)
Step 2: Empty jello onto the back of your hand (whole)
Step 3: Hand (and jello) to mouth - put jello in mouth whole
Official Step 4: Swallow
Unofficial Step 4: Spin round in circles with cheeks bulging with jelly trying not to spit on anyone / have anyone see you in this state. Try and convince your body it wants to swallow while attempting to forget that you don't actually like jelly, never mind want to swallow a cupful of it mixed with alcohol, whole.

Ahem.

So, we left there reasonably promptly (I had used most of their napkins, it was time to go) and went back to the nice bar, as referenced in prior posts. I was recognised (and asked where my mother was!) Much more civilised. Honest.

A good night was had by all.

Apparently I now have to go to the Feather Boa Bar... I'll keep you posted.

1 comment: