Monday 30 August 2010

Seafood...

For some reason I associate the "I'm on a seafood diet, when I see food, I eat" joke with Ursula. She of Little Mermaid (and birthday cake) fame, wrapped in the tight black purple and black number. Tell me you know what I'm talking about. If not, you probably never came to one of my sister's birthday parties, and certainly not the "Under the Sea' themed one. Was this part of her song? Who knows (who can say why).

Anyway, it appears that a level of concern has been raised about the amount I am eating and resultant impact on my waistline. Well, you'll have to wait until you see me but the eating has certainly not stopped in the last few days!

Sunday afternoon I went to meet my visitor at the airport. For once there was not torrential rain, instead we have a Tropical Cyclone Warning. Good-oh.

From the airport and straight to eat (obviously). This detracts from said visitor's hotel being slap bang in the middle of the red light district and mid-renovations... (that explains the bargain price!) Although 'straight' is a little generous. Step 1 is the cab from the airport express. What do you know we end up with the singing taxi driver... Fortunately we stuck to the Bee Gees and were spared the Chinese opera...

Step 2 is the MTR + minibus trek to Po Toi O, although again the seafood was well worth it. Crab, razor clams, lobeter-esque items and 'elephants nose' (do not ask me to describe what these look like, think long, white elephant trunks.....)

Post Po Toi O food, beer and the obligatory torrential rainstorm we headed back for a wander around Lan Kwai Fong (absolutely quiet on a Sunday night) and off to the Pawn, which I am sure I have mentioned previously. Now an ex-pat bar, previously a four storey pawn house. Stayed here chatting until they asked us to leave. To be clear, it was closing time rather than our outrageous behaviour. (I do consider ordering GBP21 glasses of wine 'outrageous', even if that is genuinely not the top end option...)

Monday lunch was my team leaving lunch where they stuffed me full of delicious dim sum. Unfortunately it was predominantly delicious due to the large amounts of MSG it contained. I still can't feel my tongue. Nice!

Not deterred by having eaten enough to keep a (very) small army fed for a week at the dim sum lunch, it was my leaving diner that evening (yes, that is bad diary management). So off to the Seafood Restaurant (Fuk Loi Kee) in Kowloon for yet more eats. Man alive. Eight dishes (plus rice, plus veg). Stuffed. I nearly fell asleep at the table.

However, who can sleep when there is the excitement of Temple Street night market to get to? Not me I tell you!

Finally (it was a Monday night...) headed home to try out the GBP 6.80 peaches (I kid you not, that is for one) and a glass of wine on the indoor/outdoor terrace.

Currently trying to decide if I will miss all this. I think if the MSG effects wear off soon and I stop shaking / am able to feel my tongue, I may well do so!

About to go for dim sum, actually having to mentally prepare myself to think of eating food...

1 comment:

  1. Insert appropriate 'you went to a pawn house' joke here..

    Seriously, v pleased to hear that you are having such a lovely time.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete